Goodreads Facebook Twitter RSS Feed

Six Word Stories

Thursday 4 November 2010

So, I didn't get anywhere in Arvon's six word story competition, which I entered a while back just to see what you could do in such a tiny word count. Hey ho.

My six entries ranged from the serious to the facetious, including one that I hoped would at least be the longest story they'd get. For your brief entertainment (or otherwise), here are the six I submitted :


         'Mrs. Chadwick? It's about your son.'


         ‘Died 2009. Reanimated 2010. Seeking brains.’


         Susan swam westwards, never looking back.


         'Just go.' 'What?' 'Please.' 'Really?' 'Go!'


         ‘Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch Antidisestablishmentarianism Association : New Members Needed!’


         ‘For Sale. Hemingway novel. Too macho.’


Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is a place in Wales by the way. Somehow, I just knew they weren't going to go for the zombie one ...

15 comments:

  1. I think you deserve a prize just for entering such a competition. These remind me of the ten word crime stories on the back of Theakston Old Peculiar bottles. But well done for actually managing to say something interesting in just six words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great - number 2 is my favorite :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thomas,

    Ah, now there's a fine drink! Headache in a bottle though ...

    Kate,

    Thanks, I liked that one too. Not literary enough for Arvon I fear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was number six made me laugh the loudest!

    They just don't know a good thing when they see it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. faiyhedgehog,

    Ah yes, nothing like a good literary joke!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "We buried the whale at night" won?!?!!? I don't understand. It's so arbitrary these contests really - I don't even understand the judge's reason WHY it won!!!

    I'm so sorry, Simon!! I thought your 5th and 6th entries should have at least gotten shortlisted.

    Grr ! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Old Kitty,

    Good of you to say so! It is arbitrary, clearly, a matter of subjective taste. But I suppose all literature is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the zombie and Hemingway ones! I've never been any good at these, so I'm really impressed you were able to come up with so many good ones.

    Really, the whale one won? That does seem like a weird winner. Maybe if you had a zombie Hemingway?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Witless,

    Can I call you that? Yup, the whale won. I make no comment other than to say I do kinda like it. But a zombie Hemingway would be fun. Surprised no-one's written "The Old Man and the Zombie" yet ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very imaginative, I'm impressed. You showed a lot of guts by entering such a contest. It would have driven me crazy. My novel is already doing a good job of that, why add more stress to my life? Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Andrea,

    Well, it was a pleasant distraction actually!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch? Wow. Now I know what inspired Lewis Carroll! I liked your zombie one the best.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Milo,

    I know, you couldn't make it up. Actually, come to think of it, they did make it up as a tourist novelty in the nineteenth century.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I'm very sorry-these were simply fantastic. I read the comment that listed the winning selection and I have to admit, I don't see it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi The Words Carfter,

    Well, I don't mind really. To be honest I'm not sure when I'd have found the time for a week's writing course!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think.