Goodreads Facebook Twitter RSS Feed

The Year In Review

Saturday 12 December 2009

Inspired by this post on the many-splendoured Musings of a Penniless Writer blog, I thought now would be a good time to write my own version of one of those year-in-review pieces that fill up newspapers and TV schedules this time of year.


But first I'd like to thank each and every person who has followed me this year. I really, really appreciate it. Sometimes, when it seems like the writing is going nowhere, and the world is indifferent, the arrival of a new follower, or the simple posting of a comment on a blog post, is like a beam of sunlight. No, really, it is. So, thanks again. Here, have a mince pie, please.

So, let's have a look at what happened in 2009 :

  • I had two short stories and two poems published by magazines. Two more short stories were accepted for publication in 2010.


  • I got my BA in literature from the Open University. Oh, wait, I promised to stop going on about that.

  • Prior to this one, I wrote exactly 100 posts on this blog.

  • There have been exactly 100 comments on those 100 blog entries. Spooky!

  • I now have 18 blog followers, 15 of whom came on board in 2009. I can see from Feedburner that the actual number of regular readers is higher. Thank you, thank you again!

  • So far I've had 3,500 hits on my blog this year. My blogger profile was looked at 360 times. I really should put more work into what I've written there.

  • I discovered Twitter. I've posted 128 tweets so far and currently have 69 followers. Thank you, thank you to you too!

  • I won one blog award.

  • I did a great deal of work on Engn, my current WIP and also on various short stories and poems.


  • I drank a lot of coffee.

So, onwards and upwards. 2010 is just around the corner. Merry Christmas and a prosperous new year to you all.

    8 comments:

    1. Congratulations on a great year Simon. And its 70 on Twitter now! I'm cleanwhitepage over there.

      ReplyDelete
    2. It sounds like a year of progress to me. Except for the chocolate.

      I'm looking forward to finding out more about Egne.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Loved reading your year in review and plan on copying you to do one of my own:) I can so identify with most of what you said. Except I don't drink coffee, but I did drink an awful lot of diet Coke. And I got my degree 3 years ago.

      It sounds like you have had some good success as a writer this year. Some positive response and recognition to keep you going. I hope next year is even better for you! Maybe it will be the year you find a home for you WIP!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Ah, see, now you've spoiled it guys. There's 103 comments now. 104 including this one!

      Seriously, thanks for your comments, here and throughout the year. I appreciate it hugely. And, Karen, I forgot to mention that amount of full-fat coke I've also consumed!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Well I'll make it 105!! That's a pretty good writing year. May we all find agents in 2010!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Wow, I think that is the first time "Musings..." has been called "many-splendoured", lol!

      Congrats again on the publications and the BA and I wish you a very merry Christmas, Simon.

      ReplyDelete
    7. I'll be following you into 2010. It should be banner year, don't you think?

      ReplyDelete

    I'd love to know what you think.