Goodreads Facebook Twitter RSS Feed

Flash Fiction: Light Years (100/100)

Sunday 7 August 2011

... together.




The end has been reached!

Just to recap, Light Years is a work of flash fiction, relayed one word per week over the previous two years. It is the slowest piece of flash-fiction ever recounted (as far as I know); in real-time its one hundred words would have taken exactly 10,000 years to appear. The first word of the specially-accelerated transmission was published on September 13th, 2009. Our unfortunate space-traveller reached the half-way point of his or her journey on the 22nd of August 2010. The final word was sent today, 7th August 2011.


The traveller's words have now been pieced together into one continuous story. Here it is :
 
One thousand light-years from home. Six centuries of time. The cold of vacuum. No hope. Earth? No word. The starship malfunctioning. I’m alone with the universe. New suns blink by, there, gone. I leave behind countless unknown novae, nebulae, neutron stars.

One week’s consciousness every year. Check the ship, correct navigation. What damaged the machinery? Instead it’s one second a hundred years. One frame glimpsed per century. One word into the abyss before the oblivion of stasis. The welcome oblivion.

Eighty seconds of life, eight thousand years. My life-span is that of stars. Immortality. The galaxy and I age together.

Message ends ...

8 comments:

  1. I remember reading this back when I first started following your blog. Never understood what you were doing then and still don't. Simon, you are way too deep for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just as I'm about to go to work...! I just had to know!! I just had to!

    Yayayyaayayyay!! There's gotta be fireworks, celebrations or something!!! What a momentous story - oh you madman!! LOL!!!!

    Whatever is next up your fiendish writerly mind ?!?!?!?!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen,

    I'm sure that's not true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Old Kitty,

    Thanks! Been great having you along for the ride. As for what's next - we shall see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was so much fun. Thanks for the recap.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finally! Can you notice I'm a tad impatient? LOL. Loved this piece, Simon. You must do another.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ellie,

    Glad you enjoyed it. It was kind of experimental, me just playing around with blogging and story telling, but it was definitely fun to do.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think.