Goodreads Facebook Twitter RSS Feed

Diagonal Proof to Publish Metal Recycling Here

Wednesday 27 April 2011

Diagonal Proof are to publish my whimsical flash story Metal Recycling Here. Delighted about this one : the story is kind of unclassifiable : it could be slipstream, I suppose, or really just an extended pun. I think there's a great deal to be said for writing fiction without regard to genre boundaries, but obviously doing so can make it difficult to find a home for a story. So many "literary" magazines, for example, dismiss anything that's "SF", as if literariness of prose and realism of plot were somehow two ends of the same scale. Weird. What's Frankenstein, then, eh? What's Dorian Gray? Earthsea? Midnight's Children?

Anyway, rant over, Diagonal Proof are cool because they seem to agree. Here's what their guidelines say :

When we were younger, we read anything. Intergalactic sci-fi. Wildly imaginative fantasy. Deeply meaningful literature. Books about planet exploring, pearl diving, or penguins. Tales of happiness, heartache, or heroism. You get the idea.

Now we are adults, it seems the world has closed in. Universities insist on studying literature and dimissing genre fiction. Some people refuse to read fiction of any kind. Others have found their favourite genre and never leave it.

We're starting up Diagonal Proof because we still read widely, and we think we know best. We want to create a journal that constantly surprises you, a journal that will challenge you to enjoy writing of all kinds. Our ambition is for you to find something you knew you would like and something you were surprised to like in every issue.

Ah, couldn't have put it better myself. Definitely a magazine worth reading.

16 comments:

  1. Congrats again, sir! You are on a roll. And the $ from DSF should more than cover this market's inability to pay you as a contributor. =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for not being hemmed in by labels and literary boundaries! Yes, I love this mag already except for one thing - how do I get subscribed?!?! I clicked on the link here and they are asking for a username and password!! I want in!! And I hope they write their font bigger cos it's tiny font!! Ok, off I go to lie down now - WELL DONE you!!!!!!!! :-) Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Milo. Yes, shame about the $ but there we go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Old Kitty,

    Thanks, and yes, absolutely! I'll be sure to pass on your feedback to them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Old Kitty,

    Oops, I had the link wrong : pointing at their blog not the magazine. Fixed now. The link should have been to here. Any better?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, that sounds really interesting! I will have to remember to come back on the weekend and check it out. And congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks again, Words Crafter - I'll let you know when the story is out there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I put it in my favorites to come back and read when I have more time. Let me know when your story is published though.

    .......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many thanks, Donna. I'll be sure to let you know when it's out there, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't keep up with you, Simon! Well done - another good week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! :) It sounds like a great magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Golden Eagle. Yes, recommended I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! You really are finding some great places to sell your amazing fiction.

    Ellie Garratt

    ReplyDelete
  14. ... and CONGRATS on reaching your Write1Sub1 goals this month!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think.