Goodreads Facebook Twitter RSS Feed

Send Yourself to Mars!

Sunday 30 January 2011

Or, at least your name ...

Slightly off-topic but this appeals to the SF lover in me. Later this year, NASA are sending the Mars Science Laboratory rover to the red planet (I know, I know, it's brown really) and they're allowing people to send their names along with it. Just fill in the form here and your name will be encoded onto a microchip and taken to the surface of Mars. How cool is that?

Actually, I couldn't resist including the address of my blog as well as my name. Consequently I'm expecting a flood of Martian followers some time in early 2012 ...

14 comments:

  1. Can't think which is the worst case scenario.

    The names reach a barren planet in barren cosmos, their letters undeciphered by a single creature, machine or spirit?

    Or a zillion and one Martians tut in unison and mutter, "what's the big problem with Julie?"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whirlochre,

    Surely you're forgetting the possibility that, at some point, life will come into being on Mars and Martian culture will evolve venerating the names listed in the divine machine?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was such an easy form to fill in!!! Thank you!!!!! See you (or rather your name and blog) in Mars!!!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like fun. I await the veneration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fairyhedgehog,

    I'm sure it won't be long!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool is that?!!!! Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm there with you - maybe there'll be Martians named after me in a few million years! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending your blog to Mars? LMAO. Best blog pimping I've seen EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the link! I'm definitely checking it out.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think.