Goodreads Facebook Twitter RSS Feed

A Story A Day In May update #2

Friday 14 May 2010

Day 14 of Story A Day in May. Simon is still finding it very rewarding.

Yes, my commitment to write some sort of story every day this month continues. This is all, I hasten to add, over and above my normal novel writing activities. What I like about it is the incentive it provides to get down a story - any story - each day. It's a chance to fly off at a tangent and be creative, see what comes to mind, go somewhere new. Sometimes that can get lost if you're working on Chapter X of a novel. I think, after May is over, I'll continue to do something similar, even if it's just to brainstorm a few ideas each day.

Anyway, here's this week's tally :


  1. Judgement Day - Flash Fiction
  2. Quadruplets - Twitter Fiction
  3. Lucky Numbers - Short Story
  4. The Rebellion - Short Story
  5. iRobot - Twitter Fiction
  6. Rescued - Flash Fiction
  7. The Last Shot of the War - Flash Fiction

Some of them are still pretty rough : ideas I may run with later on. A couple I've polished up and may well submit to magazines. But, to give you a taste, here's Quadruplets. Again, being Twitter fiction, it's 140 characters long (actually slightly fewer in this case) :

‘Is there a heartbeat?’ Lines swirled on the ultrasound screen. The nurse pressed the cold sensor to her belly. ‘Actually, I can see four.’


    6 comments:

    1. I like that piece of twitter fiction. I used to write short stories in limerick form (which involves huge constraints, obviously) and this reminds me of that. It also reminds me I miss it.

      Good luck for the rest of the month!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thomas,

      Thanks. If you miss it you should do it again.

      An artist and writer called Thomas
      Used rather a lot of commas
      His editor said, no
      They all had to go
      And now he shows much more promise

      Nope, I'm crap at limericks! I don't reaally think you use too many commas either!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Ha ha, thank you:)

      A flash fiction writer called Simon
      Tried writing a piece with a rhyme on,
      But his quota for May
      Fell behind in that day;
      Twas a rhyme he spent WAY too mcuh time on.

      Only kidding.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Thomas,

      Heh. You've started something now. I think a regular limerick post on your own fine blog would be marvellous ...

      ReplyDelete
    5. Thanks, Simon, I might just do that, though I'll make sure my proofreader's around next time.

      ReplyDelete
    6. I think I could have benefited from a proofreader too. Reaally!

      ReplyDelete

    I'd love to know what you think.