Goodreads Facebook Twitter RSS Feed

Book Review : Sixty-One Nails by Mike Shevdon

Monday 12 April 2010


Ooh, I loved this. It's an urban fantasy novel, set in London and the intersecting world of the fey. As I believe they say in the USA, what's not to love?

These are not the fey as in Tinkerbell. These are the malicious, capricious creatures of the other world, beings of nightmare as much as dream. Where I grew up, on the misty Isle of Man, these are the creatures traditionally referred to simply as Themselves. I won't go too deeply into the plot, but essentially, the protagonist, Niall Petersen, starts out utterly unaware of the fey and their realms. And that, as you might imagine, soon changes. There is a desperate quest to undertake and there is terrible danger to face, all firmly set in the real world. It did take me a little time to like the protagonist - he starts out as this world-weary commuter and divorcee - but I soon warmed to him. And I did worry that he accepted everything that happens to him just a little too readily. But overall I was hooked and I'm very much looking forward to reading the next volume in the sequence when it appears.

If you're a fan of UF - or even if you're not - I'd recommend this book.


3 comments:

  1. Looks interesting - I'll check it out. BTW there's a little something for you over on my blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate,

    The sugar doll blog award - thanks! I think!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think.