Goodreads Facebook Twitter RSS Feed

Tolkien, Niven, Herbert, H. G. Wells, um ... Kewin?

Monday 18 August 2008

I came across this page recently, when I was browsing for reviews of my stories (as you do). It's a "proposed anthology" put together by Christopher Vera on his Mystic Nebula blog that explores the use of milieu in fiction. The list of books is impressive - not too far off a greatest hits compilation of SF and Fantasy. Tolkien's The Hobbit, Frank Herbert's Dune, Larry Niven's Ringworld, H.G. Wells' The Time Machine and so on.

But, weirdly and wonderfully, at No. 8 in his list, is a short story of mine called Museum Beetles. What can I say? This is a story I'm proud of. It was published in Abyss & Apex, a fine and wonderful magazine, where, in fact, it can still be read. And the story was given an honourable mention in Gardner Dozois' Year's Best Science Fiction (23rd edition). But quite how it ended up in such stellar company I'm not sure. I'm amused and (obviously) pleased. And if ever that anthology comes off, then I'll be very pleased ...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think.