Goodreads Facebook Twitter RSS Feed

Malware To Be Published by Perihelion

Tuesday 16 April 2013

They say you should write what you know. Not sure how that's supposed to work if you're a speculative fiction writer, but as I'm a software developer by day, I figured a while back it might be a good idea to try writing a story centering on a computer programmer. The resulting story was called Malware. It's an SF story, but maybe only just.




I'm delighted to report it has been bought by Perihelion SF. And I'm glad I stuck by the story. A while back one esteemed magazine rejected it saying "most readers aren't computer experts and won't follow much of what is included here". Hah! Fortunately Perhelion have more faith in readers' intelligence.

Malware will be appearing in the June 12th update of Perihelion.


I also had a vague plan to write a series of stories using the main protag of Malware. Hmm...



12 comments:

  1. I want to read it now to test my (artificial) intelligence! LOL!! When will it appear?

    HUGE CONGRATULATIONS!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Not sure when it will be out, but I'm sure your intelligence will be more than sufficient!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your story! :)

    (I was a bit relieved once I'd finished your post--after I read the title, I thought for a moment you were about to detail some horror story about a computer virus . . .)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Mind you, "some horror story about a computer virus" is a pretty good description of Malware...

      Delete
  4. I've got a character in one of my current works in progress called Malware Mary, Simon. *laughs* just letting you know, so that you don't think I've pinched your idea.

    Congratulations on the sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Wouldn't mind if you did - I'd be honoured.

      Delete
  5. Sounds cool. Congrats and here's to readers' intelligence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lyn. It's hopefully quite an easy, thriller of a read, and not that techie.

      Delete
  6. Oooh, congratulations Simon :)

    I have one story that I've been sending around which keeps getting personal rejection letters to the effect of 'Well, I understand what's going on in this story but I don't think readers will.' and I'm like 'Dudes, if you all get it maybe your readers will too!' but... whatcha gonna do except, like you, try try again lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, you have to try again - it'll find a good home I'm sure. Don't give in!

      Delete
  7. Way to go! That's one reason I've avoided subbing to Perihelion -- don't know a whole lot of science. Look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Although, you know, I did just make a whole bunch of it up...

      Delete

I'd love to know what you think.